Sunday, September 13, 2009

Kicking back after a long week

The week before was truly a blessed albeit tiring one. My woman came over from Saturday all the way till Wednesday. Spending time with her proved to be a form of compensation for juggling presentations on Tuesday and Thursday. Somehow, having her around me gives me the feel good aura and sometimes this aura can turn into the "I don't wanna move my damn body to go to class to see my 'lovely' lecturers because I have quality time to spend with mah woman" aura. :D On a more serious note, the presentation on Tuesday was the semi-finals of the Finance Challenge 2009 organized by uhh...I don't really know cuz I'm just in it for the money :p

There were about 13 of us for the semi-final presentation verbally presenting our takes on different aspects of the financial realm. We got to choose our own topics and mine was 'Re-pegging the ringgit as a means to address the global financial crisis of 2008'. I got to know who my competitors were only when I entered the Auditorium on the day itself. I was dressed like how I would normally do in a classroom presentation. Then along came a few participants with suits ablazing. Somehow, men in suits are more intimidating than those without. Maybe because wearing a suit screams 'I'm more successful thaan thou?' At that moment though, I was more concerned with the content of my presentation than how I looked in the eyes of the audience.

I initially feared that my topic was too complex not only for the audience but also myelf especially when it came to the Q&A session. Without much thought, I downed a can of Red Bull and proceeded to mesmerize the audience in the only way I knew; fiery speech. Because I was trained as a debater a long time ago, I only knew how to speak loud and confidently when I presented even though everything that came out from my mouth consisted of 90% bullshit and 10% facts. I guess with confidence in their speech, one can make it sound like 90% conviction instead of bullshit. Topics presented by others ranged from simple stuff to more complex ones like capital control and implementing GST.

Results were out on Thursday evening. I did it. Finals here I come. Along with the other 4 people I identified would make it to the finals and one more wildcard, that makes 6 of us for the finals which will be held on the 6th of October. Boo-hoo. Why did it have to be that day? The day where I turn 21? Could the fact that the finals falls on my birthday sway the judges into voluntarily handing me the trophy? This time, we're given the topic instead of choosing our own which makes all of us even. I would love to receive some input on how to address this topic from my dear readers:

The Economic - Financial Crisis in Malaysia (2009): Are we out of the woods and what should we do next?

October oh October, why did I have to be born in October? :(


No comments: