Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The break that wasn't...

The official semester break for my course starts next week. Man's abuse of time and technology meant that students are not meant to enjoy their well-deserved breaks. Why? Lets start from the very top on why technology is a bane than a blessing.Man had in mind, created the computer and technologies to ease movement and communication and make life easier. Something happened along the way and some brilliant person had to start thinking,'Hey, why not increase the workload when everything can be done so fast now?'

This has brought us to the day we live in. Unrealistic expectations from people who assume technology allows people to work efficiently without being mindless drones slogging at the office during the weekend. How wrong they were indeed.
We have now, people having to sacrifice lovely time to be with their loved ones. Everyone has a PDA, Organizer, Mini Notebook and all sorts or mini-themed devices that provide some sort of a leash for employees to remember that damn dateline of projects, proposals, presentations, meetings, video, business plan etc. In short, there are really no 5 days-in-the-office week. New we all wish for an 8 or 9 day office week instead.

The good thing is, I'm merely a student. This is still at the tip of the iceberg for me. Disgruntled as I may be, conformity is what drives us to do what we do. Conforming to standards that only look at success when failure itself can means a personal success of sorts. I have yet to fail in my tertiary education life because I conform whether i like it or not. Conform I will as long as it keeps me safe from being screwed by the world.

As often quoted by many college students : F*** the world lah!

The end of philosophical post 24/09/08

No comments: